101 – University of Guelph
Last updated: October 1, 2019
- About the University of Guelph
- Residence Accommodation
- Semester Entry Points
- Application Deadlines
- Additional Admission Information
- Veterinary Medicine
- English-Language Proficiency Requirement
- Contact Information
About the University of Guelph
The University of Guelph is one of Canada’s top comprehensive universities, recognized for the high quality of our teaching, research and outstanding facilities. Engaged in a wide variety of academic programs, Guelph’s more than 29,000 students thrive on the cutting edge of their fields.
- The beautiful main campus of 412 hectares is approximately an hour’s drive west of Toronto.
- Includes a 165-hectare arboretum and a 12-hectare Research Park.
- We are the Guelph Gryphons. Our colours are red, gold and black.
- More than 29,000 students call our campus home.
- More than 5,000 students live in residence.
- 17 intramurals, 17 varsity teams, 22 sports clubs and more than 200 student clubs and organizations.
- More than 4,000 student jobs available.
- More than 173,000 active alumni in more than 150 countries.
- More than $146.6 million in annual research funding makes Guelph one of Canada’s most research-intensive universities.
- The Centre for New Students, the first of its kind in Canada, helps you make a successful transition to university.
- The largest residence system in Ontario.
- An outstanding library system with access to more than 7.5 million items.
- More than 100 study-abroad opportunities in 33 countries in Europe, Africa, Asia, Latin America, Oceania and the United States.
- Over 1,000 experiential learning opportunities, including co-op programs, paid and volunteer positions, hands-on course options and more.
- $24 million in student assistance awarded in the 2018-2019 academic year.
- Top awards:
- President’s Scholarships, Chancellors’ Scholarships and the Lincoln Alexander Scholarships: 12 scholarships valued at $42,000 each.
- Board of Governors’ Scholarships: 25 awards of $20,000 each.
If you are entering in the fall and enrolling in semester 1 at the Guelph campus, you are guaranteed a room in residence if you apply by the deadline. More than 5,000 residence spaces are available with a variety of residence styles to suit every taste.
We believe the educational experience of university should be open to every student who is academically qualified.
Students with hearing, visual, mobility, medical, psychiatric or learning disabilities are encouraged to email the Coordinator in Student Accessibility Services to discuss their specific needs and requirements.
Semester Entry Points
Admission to semester 1 is available in the fall only.
January 15, 2020: All programs – to be considered for early offers of admission.
January 15, 2020: Turfgrass Management – applications received after this date will be considered only as space allows. (February 15 is the deadline for supporting documents.)
March 1, 2020: All other programs.
You are encouraged to apply as early as possible. You will be informed of the required forms and deadlines when you apply. Forms will be available electronically. Special deadlines may pertain to Background Information Forms (BIFs) and supporting documentation.
Residence Application: If you are entering semester 1 in fall 2020, the residence application deadline is
Additional Admission Information
- Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA) requires a BIF
- Turfgrass Management requires a BIF
You will be notified in your Acknowledgement Package if you are required to submit supplemental forms. Forms will be available electronically. Please note return dates and addresses.
There is no direct admission to the Veterinary Medicine program from high school. Completion of 2 years of a degree program is required for admission consideration.
English-Language Proficiency Requirement
If English is not your first language, consult the current Undergraduate Calendar or visit the English Proficiency Requirements web page.
Office of Registrarial Services
University of Guelph
50 Stone Road East
Guelph ON N1G 2W1
Telephone: 519-824-4120, ext. 58721 or 519-821-2130
Undergraduate Calendar: www.uoguelph.ca/undergrad_calendar