101 – York University
University program information changes regularly. For the most up-to-date details, view the York University Future Students website or the online application.
Last updated: October 3, 2017
- About York University
- Admission Information
- Scholarships and Financial Aid
- Transfer Credits
- Visit the Campuses
- Contact Information
About York University
York University will support you throughout your unique university journey. Beyond academic achievement, we strive to enrich your student experience through personal and professional development, as well as ensure your physical and mental well-being.
We understand your need for a flexible, fluid, career-connected education. We’ll introduce you to versatile, new ways of thinking to help you see the endless opportunities your degree can offer. You’ll join a community of thinkers and learners committed to supporting your success. From the Algonquin Observatory, to a flipped classroom in the Lassonde “cloud” and the EcoCampus in Costa Rica, you’ll experience new approaches that will take you outside your classroom learning environment, your borders and your textbooks.
Our programs span the arts, engineering, education, business, health, life sciences, environment, languages, cultures and international studies. At York, you’ll have access to modern equipment, beautiful facilities, top-rated professors, and opportunities to participate in paid internships, co-ops international exchanges, community-focused and workplace-focused experiential learning, eLearning and more.
Open your mind and see where an education from York University can take you, from the exceptional to the unexpected.
A Great Location
Located in north Toronto, our Keele campus is a self‑contained campus that offers students a rigorous academic foundation balanced with real-world experiential education, paid internships and co-op opportunities.
Our Glendon campus, located mid‑town, is the centre of excellence for French-language and bilingual university education in Southern Ontario. Glendon is also known for its beautiful rose gardens and connections to global Francophonie.
A new campus will be built in Markham in partnership with Seneca College, and will offer high-quality degree programs and workplace-based learning opportunities.
Visit the Future Students website for a list of requirements for admission by program, including the following information:
- prerequisite courses
- language proficiency
- required documents
- supplementary evaluation details (if applicable)
Apply online through the OUAC by the application deadlines listed below.
All required documents must be received before your application is considered. Delayed or incomplete submission of an application may result in a program becoming full and/or fewer course enrollment options.
- December 6, 2017: Applications due for January 2018 entry.
- Exception: Applications to AMPD BFA and BA programs are due October 25, 2017. An online supplementary evaluation is also required for BFA applicants. Visit the Future Students website for more details.
- January 17, 2018: Applications due for September 2018 entry
- Supplementary evaluation required for applicants to BFA programs, Business Administration, Design, Education and the iBA/BBA in International Studies with EMLyon. Visit the Future Students website for details about required supplementary evaluation and associated deadlines.
- Applications for the BFA programs and Design for May 2018 entry are also due for guaranteed consideration to these programs. Supplementary evaluation required.
- April 11, 2018: Applications due for May 2018 entry
Programs may accept applications after the deadlines listed. Check the York application updates page for program availability and updates.
Access and Bridging Programs
York University is a leader in providing access and bridging programs to relevant Canadian degree programs, while providing language support and Canadian work experience through internships, practica and more.
If you are an applicant from Aboriginal/Indigenous, First Nations or Métis populations, York can provide the support needed for transition to university study. The staff at the Centre for Aboriginal Student Services have extensive knowledge and experience working with Indigenous applicants and families.
Students with Disabilities
If you have a diagnosed physical, learning or psychiatric disability, or believe that your academic record may not meet the standard normally required for admission to the program you applied to, you may opt to complete our Additional Information Form. The Additional Information Form allows you to tell us about any extenuating circumstance, health condition or diagnosed permanent disability that may have affected your academic performance.
In no way will identifying a diagnosed disability be a disadvantage or impact admissibility (you must still meet York’s admission requirements). We want to make sure you know about the support services in place at York.
Scholarships and Financial Aid
York University Automatic Entrance Scholarships
If you have an admission average of 80% or higher, you are guaranteed a York University Automatic Entrance Scholarship ranging from $500 to $3,500. The $3,500 scholarship is renewable for 3 additional years for students who maintain high academic standing.
Student Life Award
If you have an admission average of 75% or higher, you will also be eligible for the Student Life Award valued at $500. This unique award is designed to help you with the cost of books, eating on campus, etc., and is applied to your YU Card. To qualify for this award, you must accept your offer of admission by the date indicated in your letter.
Education costs are met by a variety of sources, including the following:
- Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP)
- York scholarships and bursaries (entrance and in‑course awards available)
- Private scholarships and external awards
- Paid internships and on-campus work opportunities
For details about the financial aid sources listed and how to access them, visit the York financial aid website.
Entrance Scholarships Requiring an Application
The York online entrance scholarships, awards and bursaries application is available from December 1 to April 1. You do not need an offer of admission to apply for entrance awards. Apply early as some award deadlines begin as early as February 1.
- York provides housing in 10 undergraduate residences (8 on Keele Campus and 2 on Glendon Campus).
- Note: Residence is guaranteed to first year students who are admitted for September 2018 studies directly from a full-time high school program and who apply for residence by June 1, 2018.
- The residence application opens February 1 on MyFile.
- Choose from mixed‑ or same‑gender living environments, including washrooms.
- Students who apply for residence by June 1 and are admitted with a 90% average or greater are guaranteed a single room.
- Select your own roommate or have 1 selected for you through a compatibility questionnaire.
The Residence Life team provides you with a safe, comfortable learning and living environment. Visit York’s Housing Services website for virtual tours and additional information.
Advanced Placement (AP): If you complete AP examinations with a grade of 4 or 5, you may be considered for transfer credit. If results are not already on your transcript, the College Board should send a copy of the results directly to the Office of Admissions as soon as possible.
International Baccalaureate (IB): If you complete IB courses at the Higher Level with a grade of 5 or better, you may be considered for transfer credit. If results are not already on your transcript, the International Baccalaureate should send a copy of the final results directly to the Office of Admissions as soon as possible.
English translations by a certified translator of transcripts, certificates and course descriptions are required if they are not in English or French.
If you have completed course work under another educational system such as the GCE or the Baccalauréat français, you may be eligible for transfer credit. For more information, visit the transfer credit website.
Visit the Campuses
Tours are available throughout the year. Find information about Fall Campus Days, tours and other events.
York University (Keele Campus)
Admissions Client Services
Bennett Centre for Student Services
99 Ian MacDonald Blvd.
4700 Keele Street
Toronto ON M3J 1P3