105 – Personal Information

Last updated: September 15, 2022

Quick Links

Your Name

  • You must provide your first name/legal given name and last name/family name in full.
  • Do not include nicknames, shortened names (e.g., Pat, Mike, Jenny) or initials.
  • Your preferred name is the name you want to be called instead of your legal given name. Do not include your last name/family name. Some universities may require you to confirm your preferred name before you are registered.

Top of Page

Citizenship and Language Information

Status in Canada and Country of Citizenship

  • Your status in Canada and country of citizenship are required.
  • If you are a Canadian citizen, select “Canadian Citizen” under Status in Canada and record “Canada” as your country of citizenship.
  • If you are a permanent resident (landed immigrant) or are applying with any other status in Canada:
    • Record a country of citizenship other than Canada.
    • You must record the date of your entry into Canada.
    • You may upload proof of status in Canada to support your application. These documents are not mandatory. Read more about uploading documents.

First Language

  • The first language you learned at home as a child.

Top of Page

Date of Birth and Gender

  • We use your date of birth for identification and document matching, and for statistics.
  • We collect information about your gender identity, if you choose to provide it. You may select the “Prefer not to answer” response option if you choose not to provide your gender identity. We use this information for statistics.

Top of Page

Voluntary Declarations

Indigenous Applicant of Canada

The Indigenous and Treaty rights of the Indigenous peoples of Canada are recognized and affirmed in the Constitution Acts of 1867 to 1982 (Section 35). Section 35(2) indicates that Indigenous peoples of Canada include First Nations, Inuit and Métis peoples.

  • In keeping with this definition, you may self-identify by answering “Yes” to the question.
  • You may further specify one of the following: First Nation, Inuit or Métis.
  • If you do not meet this definition or do not wish to declare your status, leave the field blank or select “No/Undeclared”.

First-generation Applicant

  • You may choose to indicate whether either of your parents/guardians attended a university or college.
  • You are not required to provide this information; however, if you do, we will forward it to your chosen universities so they can inform you of specific services available to first-generation students.

Applicant Diversity Census

The Ontario universities are committed to the principles of equity, diversity and inclusion. To that end, they would like to learn more about their applicants to ensure that they are recruiting and selecting classes representative of the Canadian population and addressing barriers to a university education.

To assist them in fulfilling these goals, the Ontario universities are asking applicants to self-identify ethnicity, religion and/or spirituality, sexual orientation and disability and/or impairment.

Note: The universities you apply to may use your answers to:

  • identify any unconscious bias or systemic racism in the admission process and to monitor any programs implemented to address any bias.
  • inform you of specific programs, services or supports available to equity-seeking groups, in an effort to improve the availability of a university education for equity-seeking communities.
  • support the admission process. Examples include, but are not limited to, making offers of admission and awarding scholarships.

You may select the “Prefer not to answer” response option available for each question if you choose not to provide your diversity-based personal information. No program, service or benefit will be withheld should you choose not to provide your diversity-based personal information.

Top of Page