Read These Common Questions Now!

October 1, 2021

Are you having trouble getting through on our phone lines? Here is a collection of common questions and answers:

  1. I’m a 101 (Ontario high school) applicant trying to log in but my PIN isn’t working. What’s the problem?
    Make sure you are typing in the correct PIN. Double-check the characters and try again.
    Other tips:

    • Use a desktop computer rather than a laptop or personal device.
    • Use the Shift key rather than the Caps Lock key to insert capital letters.
    • The order of your first and middle name may be switched on your PIN letter. Try entering in the information as shown on the letter.
  1. I’m a 101 (Ontario high school) applicant and I do not have my access codes. What can I do?
    Contact your guidance counsellor who will be able to provide you with your access codes.
  1. I’m getting a warning about my address when I try to submit my application. Why is this happening?
    You must enter a home address and a mailing address, even if these 2 addresses are the same. A mailing address is the address where you receive postal mail. It is not your email address.
  1. At the end of the application, I see a warning and/or an error. What do I do?
    Please read any errors or warnings carefully. If you have a warning, you can proceed with submitting your application. If you have an error, you must correct it before you can submit. Return to the screen mentioned in the error message and correct the error.
  1. The application did not charge me for supplementary fees and I am worried my application will not be processed.
    Some applicants are exempt from paying supplementary fees. The system will automatically exempt you if you qualify and your application will be processed.
  1. I’m stuck on the “Additional University Details” screen in the 105 application. What do I do?
    If this section does not apply to you, simply click “Save” and move on to the next section.
  1. I’m a 105 applicant who is currently in high school outside of Ontario. In the “Activities” section of the application, it says to list my extracurricular activities from the time I completed high school to the present, but it also says if I don’t complete this section, my application assessment may be delayed. What do I do since I’m still in high school?
    In this situation, it is fine to leave the “Activities” section blank. You will get a warning message about this during the “Review and Submit” step, but you can ignore it. You will not be penalized for not adding activities.
  1. I’m a Graduate Studies applicant who received my PIN from Carleton University (or any university) but I cannot log in.
    You cannot log in with your Carleton PIN. You must create an OUAC account.