OMSAS Referee Resources
Last updated: July 9, 2020
Note: In order for referees to provide uniform information that admission committees are specifically looking for from the reference process, every referee will be asked to fill out a Confidential Assessment Form (CAF). Additional letters of reference are not accepted.
Confidential Assessment Form (CAF)
On the CAF, you will be asked to respond to the following:
- Would this applicant make a good physician?
- Rate the applicant on each of the following attributes:
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Professionalism (e.g., commitment to ethical practice, standards of behaviour and accountability to others)
- Empathy (e.g., demonstrating consideration of others’ perspectives)
- Identify and comment on 1 area of improvement for the applicant.
- Share any other information you feel may be relevant to a medical school’s admission committee.
To make corrections after submitting your CAF, follow the reset link at the top of your form.
Reference deadlines vary by university. It is the applicant’s responsibility to inform you of the deadline to submit your CAF.