OMSAS Referee Resources
Last updated: July 9, 2019
New for 2020: In order for referees to provide uniform information that admission committees are specifically looking for from the reference process, every referee will be asked to fill out a Confidential Assessment Form (CAF). Additional letters of reference will no longer be accepted.
Confidential Assessment Form (CAF)
On the CAF, you will be asked the following:
- Would this applicant make a good physician?
- Rate the applicant on each of the following attributes:
- Communication skills
- Problem-solving skills
- Professionalism (e.g., commitment to ethical practice, standards of behaviour and accountability to others)
- Empathy (e.g., demonstrating consideration of others’ perspectives)
- Identify and comment on 1 area of improvement for the applicant.
- Share any other information you feel may be relevant to a medical school’s admission committee.
Reference deadlines vary by university. It is the applicant’s responsibility to inform you of the deadline for submitting your CAF.