- Founded in 1887 in Toronto by Senator William McMaster.
- Relocated from Toronto to Hamilton in 1930.
- Today, we boast a population of over 31,000 students.
- We have over 227,000 alumni representing 163 countries, including 4 Nobel laureates and 34 Olympians.
- Located in Hamilton, Ontario, about a 45-minute drive from Toronto, Niagara Falls and the United States border. The fifth-largest city in Ontario and tenth-largest city in Canada, Hamilton is a multicultural city and an urban, industrial and artistic centre.
- Our campus is over 300 acres of mostly green space, bordered by the Royal Botanical Gardens and Cootes Paradise, a wild bird sanctuary. All our buildings are within a 30-acre, pedestrian-friendly central core.
What Makes Us Special
- A research-intensive, student-centred university dedicated to advancing human and societal health and well-being.
- 2023 Times Higher Education World University Rankings: 4th in Canada, 85th in the world.
- The McMaster Model, a problem-based and student-centred approach to learning, has been adopted worldwide.
- Home to more than 60 research centres and institutes.
- More than 70 international exchange agreements.
We have 25 direct-entry undergraduate programs across 6 faculties.
You can also visit the following websites for specific information about each program:
Every program at McMaster University has its own set of admission criteria, including course requirements and admission averages. Before you apply, it is your responsibility to research the admission requirements for your program(s) of interest.
Additional Admission Requirements
When you apply, use a valid and unique email address that only you can access. Do not use an email of a parent or counsellor. We use email to communicate important information and admission decisions.
Make McMaster a safe sender to ensure our messages are not marked as spam.
We must receive all relevant documentation before we will consider your application.
Scholarships, Bursaries and Financial Aid
Entrance awards are available if you:
- are entering Level I of a first baccalaureate degree program,
- have graduated from high school and
- have not attended a postsecondary institution.
We offer many in-course scholarships for students enrolled in programs above Level I.
Note: Some eligibility restrictions apply.
Applicants to the Nursing Collaborative program (Mohawk) will be considered for aid and awards at Mohawk College.
Offers of Admission
All programs at McMaster University have enrollment limits and admission is at our discretion. Meeting minimum requirements for any program does not guarantee admission.
- The Student Success Centre provides you with academic and development support, including understanding academic expectations, developing academic skills and workshops to help you start your career.
- The Student Accessibility Services Office provides support for students with disabilities, including learning strategies, assistive technologies and classroom accommodations.
- The International Student Services team provides support to incoming and current international students, including immigration advising, success coaching and peer-to-peer support programs.
- The Student Wellness Centre is available to all McMaster students. Services include medical and health services, and personal, psychological and academic counselling.
- The Student Case Management Office provides support to students who may be experiencing difficulty on campus, including resources to manage issues, crisis prevention and intervention for students.
Equity, Diversity and Inclusion
On-campus residence spaces are available for Level I applicants applying directly from high school. Eligibility may vary.
Applicants to the Nursing Collaborative program at Mohawk College are not eligible for McMaster on-campus residence. Visit the college website to learn more about residence options.
Campus Tours and Events
Come take a tour! Join us in-person or virtually for a campus tour. In-person tours are led by current McMaster students as your guide, last about 90 minutes and encompass the entire campus, including a visit to at least 1 residence building.
We also have special visit days at McMaster including our Fall Preview and May @ Mac University-wide open house event.