ORPAS Notice and Declaration
Declaration and Notice of Collection, Use, Disclosure and Treatment of Your Personal Information Provided as Part of Your Ontario Rehabilitation Sciences Programs Application Service (ORPAS) Application
The Ontario Universities’ Application Centre (OUAC) is a division of the Council of Ontario Universities (COU). We process applications for admission to Ontario university programs on behalf of the Ontario universities. To apply for admission to a rehabilitation sciences program at a university in Ontario, your application must be processed through the OUAC. We forward your application to the universities of your choice.
We are committed to protecting your privacy in relation to the personal information you provide in support of your application.
By applying through the OUAC, you agree that your chosen universities will obtain the personal information you provide to us and that we will collect, use, disclose and otherwise manage your personal information as set out in this Declaration and Notice.
Universities may use and disclose your personal information for other purposes in accordance with their own admission and personal information policies and practices, including requirements for government enrollment reporting, which you must investigate yourself.
- Provide all the personal information requested in this application, along with your application fee. Universities will not consider incomplete applications. Universities may require additional personal information and/or submissions to complete your application.
- Pay for your application. Fraudulent use of credit cards and demanding/obtaining unauthorized application fee reimbursement is considered unethical.
- Keep your OUAC username, password and application reference number confidential and secure. Notify us immediately if you suspect any unauthorized access, use or disclosure of this information.
- Ensure that your application information, and all supporting documentation, is truthful, complete and correct, and that your autobiographic and personal submissions are authored solely and entirely by you. We and the universities reserve the right to verify any information provided as part of this application. If you withhold information or submit any information that is determined to be false, misleading, or written by a third party, we and/or the universities may, at our absolute discretion, invalidate the application, resulting in its immediate rejection or in the revocation of an offer of admission or registration at a university. Any such information may be shared by the OUAC, or by Ontario universities and colleges, with other universities and colleges across Canada and/or other regulatory authorities (e.g., Canadian Border Services Agency).
- Protect the personal information in your application and do not provide it to other organizations in any form (e.g., paper, PDF).
- Understand that, if you choose to use email or chat to communicate with us, the contents of your communications are not secure.
Collection of Personal Information
- We collect the personal information you provide in your application, or in reference to your application, to process your application to your chosen universities.
- We collect the academic transcripts you provide as part of your application.
- We collect your Ontario Education Number (OEN), when it is provided on your transcript, and will keep it as a personal identifier for your OUAC Account.
- We collect personal information about you from the individuals you provide as references.
- We collect information about your status as a Canadian Indigenous person, if you choose to provide it. You are not required to provide this information; however, if you do, we will forward it to your chosen universities so they can inform you of specific services available to Canadian Indigenous students, in an effort to improve rehabilitation sciences education and care throughout Indigenous communities.
- We collect payment information when you pay (or someone else pays) for your application. We use this information to process your payment. All credit card processing is done by a third party and no cardholder data is collected, transmitted or stored on OUAC systems.
- We track your online application activity using cookies and varied web analytics. We and/or the universities may use this data in non-personally identifiable reports to track navigation paths, maintain and improve the application system and for other purposes in accordance with our/their policies and practices.
Use of Personal Information
- We use your personal information to compile and process your application and payment.
- We use information from all rehabilitation sciences applications to create aggregate, non-personally identifiable statistical reports. This information may be used by the following groups:
- The public, via the OUAC website
- Rehabilitation sciences admissions committees
- Ontario universities
- The Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU)
- The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Third-party researchers (at the OUAC’s and the faculties of rehabilitation sciences’ discretion) for admissions, enrollment and other academic policy development and research purposes
- We and/or the universities use your email address to communicate with you.
- If you order electronic transcripts in support of your application, we may use your personal information to process your transcript request.
- We and/or the universities use your date of birth for identification and document matching.
Disclosure of Personal Information
- We disclose your demographic, academic and university/program choice data, including responses to offers, to the universities you apply to.
- If you apply to a joint or collaborative university/university or university/college program, we and/or the universities disclose your application information to the relevant partner Ontario colleges or universities.
- We contact the individuals you list as references to advise them that they have been named as references. If your references contact us with questions about your application, we disclose personal information about you, as necessary and appropriate, to respond to questions.
- If a third party pays for your application and has questions about the payment, we disclose your personal information, as necessary and appropriate, to respond to these questions.
- We provide the universities with access to correspondence about your application.
- We and/or the universities may disclose your personal information to validate or assign an Ontario Education Number (OEN). The OEN Registry is maintained by the Ministry of Education, and is used for tracking and research purposes by the Ministry of Education, the MCU, and postsecondary institutions, as outlined in the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities Act (MTCU Act).
- We disclose your OEN to your chosen universities in order to maintain the OEN registry.
- We may disclose personal information to the MCU for policy development and research purposes, as outlined in the MTCU Act.
- We and/or the universities notify universities and colleges across Canada and/or other regulatory authorities (e.g., Canadian Border Services Agency), at our absolute discretion, if you withhold information or submit any information connected with your application that is determined to be false, misleading, or written by a third party, or if it contains evidence of academic dishonesty or inappropriate or unethical conduct. Fraudulent use of credit cards or demanding/obtaining unauthorized application fee reimbursement is considered unethical.
- We disclose information from all rehabilitation sciences applications in aggregate, non-personally identifiable statistical reports. This information may be used by the following groups:
- The public, via the OUAC website
- Ontario rehabilitation sciences admissions committees
- Ontario universities
- The MCU
- The Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care
- Third-party researchers (at the OUAC’s and the faculties of rehabilitation sciences’ discretion) for admissions, enrollment and other academic policy development and research purposes.
- We and/or the universities may disclose your personal information to regulatory authorities, law enforcement or other persons, as authorized or required by law.
- If you order electronic transcripts in support of your application, we disclose your personal information to the institutions from which you have ordered your transcripts, in order to process your transcript request.
How Do We Protect Your Personal Information?
- At the end of each application cycle, we destroy any supplementary material you submit in support of your application. This material, including transcripts, autobiographic and personal submissions, will not be returned, forwarded or copied to you, and will not be forwarded to third parties, prior to being destroyed.
- If you have created an OUAC account but have never submitted an application, we will destroy your account and all related personal information (paper or electronic) at the end of the application cycle.
- We keep current year and historic electronic versions of data you provided in your application for 7 years, including your demographic, academic and program choice data, in accordance with our Data Retention and Disposal Policy. This data remains in Canada.
- We store electronic records off-site as part of our disaster recovery procedures.These records also remain in Canada.
- We maintain administrative, technical and physical safeguards in an effort to protect against unauthorized access, use, modification or disclosure of your personal information.
- We maintain the confidentiality of all personal information we collect in connection with your application and disclose such personal information only for the purposes described in this Declaration and Notice.
You are required to consent to the personal information practices as set out in the “Declaration and Notice of Collection, Use, Disclosure and Treatment of Your Personal Information Provided as Part of Your Ontario Rehabilitation Sciences Programs Application Service (ORPAS) Application”, and to certify the following statement:
I certify that the personal information and documents submitted, or to be submitted, in this application, are true, complete and correct, including my declarations as to citizenship and immigration status in Canada; that my autobiographic and personal submissions are true, accurate, and authored solely and entirely by me; and that all information requested in this application has been disclosed.
I understand that it is my responsibility to keep the OUAC and the universities, to which I have applied or at which I register, informed of any changes to the information in my application materials, and I agree to do so immediately after any such change occurs.
- Review our Privacy Statement.
- Contact the OUAC Privacy Officer:
170 Research Lane, Guelph ON N1G 5E2
Last updated: August 29, 2019