ORPAS – Referee Requirements
Last updated: October 15, 2019
- Referee Selection Criteria
- Sending Reference Forms to ORPAS
- Reference Deadline
- Checking the Status of Your References
- Referee Resets
Review the requirements for each university/program choice as the number and/or type of reference required may vary.
Referee Selection Criteria
Select referees who have extensive personal knowledge of you and are able to make statements concerning your character, personal qualities, academic capabilities and special circumstances, if applicable.
ORPAS cannot advise you in selecting referees.
Sending Reference Forms to ORPAS
Ensure that your referee is prepared to use the online form before entering an email address. They must be familiar with PDF documents and/or scanners.
Once you add a referee, select “Send Email” to notify them about completing their online reference in a secure environment. If you provide an email address for your referee, they are required to complete the reference online.
If the referee does not have an email address, download the form and forward it to them. They must mail it, with their accompanying letter, directly to ORPAS when complete.
It is your responsibility to ensure your referee receives the email and successfully submits their reference to ORPAS.
Your comments to the referee should include your contact information, so they will be able to reach you, if necessary.
- Clinical references are required only for SLP and/or Audiology programs.
- You may enter only 1 person on the application in the R4 (Confidential Clinical Referee) position. For any additional clinical references, send a message via Secure Applicant Messaging and select the subject, “Request for Additional Clinical Reference” from the subject drop-down list. You will be required to provide the name and contact information of the additional clinical referee in the message.
Ensure you give your referee sufficient time to complete their reference and submit it to ORPAS by the deadline.
It is your responsibility to ensure ORPAS receives your references by the deadline.
Checking the Status of Your References
You can check the status of your references under the “Actions/Status” tab in the “Referees” section of your application.
- Email Sent: Your email has been sent to your selected referee.
- Form Viewed: Your referee has viewed the reference form.
- In Progress: Your referee has started to complete their reference, but has not submitted it.
- Received: The OUAC has received the reference from your referee.
You may reset your reference as long as the referee has not started to complete the reference form.