TEAS – Applicant Responsibilities and Requirements

Last updated: September 17, 2020

Quick Links


  • Submit your application as soon as possible since some faculties of education may require additional application information, interviews, essays or language facility tests before an admission decision can be made.
  • If you fail to comply with the admission requirements and deadlines, your application may be not considered by the faculties of education.
  • Application fees are non‑refundable.

Applicant Responsibilities

Become familiar with and observe the application procedures for each faculty of education you apply to.

Submitting Your Documents

  • Submit your application and all supporting documentation by the deadlines.
  • Submit only 1 TEAS application for 2021.

Verifying Your Application Information

You will receive an OUAC/TEAS Reference Number (2021‑7xxxxx) and an acknowledgement email from TEAS when you submit and pay for your application. If you do not receive an acknowledgement email, contact us immediately via Secure Applicant Messaging (SAM).

Top of Page

Applicant Requirements

School Board Requirements for Police Record Checks

To meet the Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) requirements, teacher education programs require successful completion of practice teaching in Ontario schools.

School boards require students on practice teaching assignments in Ontario schools to complete a satisfactory Police Record Check (PRC), including a Vulnerable Sector Check, prior to having direct contact with students. Without a satisfactory PRC, the schools will not allow you to participate in practice teaching.

This check is not required until you receive an offer of admission to a faculty of education and is separate from the OCT’s criminal record check.

Eligibility for Teaching Certification in Ontario

Those who wish to teach in Ontario’s publicly funded education system must be certified by the OCT.

Read more about the OCT’s licensing requirements.

Top of Page

Using Secure Applicant Messaging (SAM)

You must use SAM to communicate with us. Do not use email.

You can also use SAM to upload the following supplementary documentation, as required by the universities you apply to:

  • Transcripts, only if currently enrolled, as these will be considered unofficial. If you have already completed your degree, an official transcript must be sent directly to the institution.
  • Proof of Diploma
  • Language Proficiency Test (English or French)
  • CV/Resumé
  • Statement of Indigenous Experience or Proof of Status
  • Applicant Information Sheet or Supplementary Form
  • Technological Education – Proof of wage-earning experience

Specify the universities we should send your document(s) to. Read the requirements for each university carefully and do not submit documentation that is not required. Universities will only consider required documents.

Top of Page