TEAS – Applicant Responsibilities and Requirements
- Become familiar with and observe the application procedures for each faculty of education you apply to.
- Submit your application and all supporting documentation by the deadlines.
- TEAS must receive completed applications and program choice amendments by December 1, 2019.
- Submit only 1 TEAS application for 2020.
- Submit your application as soon as possible since some faculties of education may require additional application information, interviews, essays or language facility tests before an admission decision can be made.
- Failure to comply with the admission requirements and deadlines may result in your application being cancelled.
- Application fees are non‑refundable.
Verify Your Application Information
You will receive an OUAC/TEAS Reference Number (2020‑7xxxxx) and an acknowledgement email from TEAS when you submit and pay for your application. If you do not receive an acknowledgement email, contact TEAS immediately via Secure Applicant Messaging (SAM).
If you successfully submit changes to you application and/or respond to offers of admission, you will receive a confirmation number.
School Board Requirements for Police Record Checks
To meet Ontario College of Teachers (OCT) requirements, Teacher Education programs require successful completion of practice teaching in Ontario schools.
School boards require students on practice teaching assignments in Ontario schools to complete a satisfactory Police Record Check (PRC), including a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC), prior to having direct contact with students. Without a satisfactory PRC, the schools will not allow you to participate in practice teaching.
This check is not required until an offer of admission to a faculty of education is received and is separate from the OCT’s criminal record check.
Eligibility for Teaching Certification in Ontario
Those who wish to teach in Ontario’s publicly funded education system must be certified by the OCT.
Secure Applicant Messaging (SAM)
You must use SAM to communicate with TEAS. Do not use email.
You can also use SAM to upload the following supplementary documentation, as required by the universities you apply to:
- Transcripts, only if currently enrolled as these will be considered unofficial. If you have already completed your degree, an official transcript must be sent directly to the institution.
- Proof of Diploma
- Language Proficiency Test (English or French)
- Statement of Indigenous Experience or Proof of Status
- Applicant Information Sheet or Supplementary Form
- Technological Education – Proof of wage-earning experience
Specify the universities the OUAC should send your document(s) to. Read the requirements for each university carefully and do not submit documentation that is not required. Universities will only consider required documents.