Frequently Asked Questions: Application Process

At the end of the application, I see a warning and/or an error. What do I do?

Read any errors or warnings carefully.

  • If you have a warning, you can proceed with submitting your application.
  • If you have an error, you must correct it before you can submit your application. Return to the section mentioned in the error message and correct the error.

Do I need to include my current Ontario high school in the Academic Background section?

No, you are not required to include your current Ontario high school…

Does it matter how I number my university or program choices?

For the most part, no. Whether you list a university or a specific program as first, second, third or higher on the application is not normally a factor in the universities’ admissions decisions. A university must make its policy clear in its own information where there are exceptions to the policy of using the numbered list of choices. Your numbered list of choices does provide valuable information to the university admission offices. This is particularly true for limited enrollment programs. Admission officials use this data to project the number of applicants who are likely to accept offers of admission, so the university can plan its resources accordingly…

Due to a serious illness (or a death in the family or another cause), my academic performance was affected. What should I do?

Applications: Undergrad (101) Categories: Application Process

Universities may take special circumstances into consideration when making their admission decisions. Therefore, it is important that you keep your guidance counsellor informed of your situation. You may choose to ask your guidance counsellor to contact the admission office of each of the universities where you applied for admission directly on your behalf. The universities may require supporting documentation. You may also wish to contact the university yourself to explain the nature of your special situation…

How can I check the status of my application?

Once we receive your fee, process your application and distribute your application information to the universities, you can contact them directly for information about the status of your application…

How do I cancel my application?

If you wish to cancel your application, you may log in to your account and withdraw all of your choices. Be sure to submit your changes by clicking “Review and Submit”. Remember that all processing fees are non-refundable…

How do I enter a prerequisite course that is currently in progress?

If you are currently enrolled in a course that you are using as a prerequisite, input the grade as “IPR” to indicate that the course is in progress.

Note: You must arrange for a transcript to be sent to ORPAS to prove you are enrolled in this course. Read more about ORPAS transcript requirements.

How do I make changes to my application after I submit it?

Log in to your application and navigate to the section you would like to make changes to using the Application Links menu. Make the desired edits, then follow these steps to submit your changes…

How many universities and programs can I choose to apply to on my application?

Applications: Undergrad (101) Categories: Application Process

You may apply to as many Ontario universities/programs as you wish; however, you are limited to a maximum of 3 program choices at any 1 university (including affiliates). Some universities may further limit the number of programs you may apply to. Make sure that you carefully read the details and instructions offered by each institution. Consult the individual university websites or contact the universities directly for more information…

I am in the process of completing my application and I noticed that none of my grades are displayed under “Current High School Information and Grades”. Should I still complete and submit my application?

Applications: Undergrad (101) Categories: Application Process

Yes, you should submit your application. Your high school created an OUAC account for you, allowing you to apply online, but has not yet added any academic data. You should contact your guidance counsellor to ensure that all of your previously completed and current courses are added to your application for you…